Rakuten’s Family Day, an annual tradition that brings smiles, laughter and a sense of togetherness, returned this year with all the charm that it is known for. Held in person once again this year, the event welcomed nearly 3,000 Rakuten employees, family and friends at the Rakuten Group Headquarters in Tokyo, creating unforgettable memories for Rakuten employees and their loved ones.
The theme for this year’s Family Day was “Home Party,” a concept that resonated deeply with the attendees. However, this year’s event proved to be more than just a simple gathering; it was an opportunity to celebrate Rakuten’s extended family, strengthen bonds and showcase the company’s commitment to promoting a healthy work-life balance.
Fostering communication and pride
At its core, Family Day serves a dual purpose: to activate further communication between employees, their families and the company, and to nurture the pride of being a part of Rakuten. It is the day when the doors of Rakuten’s HQ open to give loved ones a glimpse into the heart of Rakuten’s innovative world and peek into the walls that develop some of Japan’s most beloved services.
Activities for all ages
The day was brimming with activities to suit every age group. From the youngest children of Rakuten employees to parents and siblings, everyone found something to enjoy.
Some highlights include:
- Office tour: A chance for families to explore the workplace where Rakuten employees build dreams.
- Sweets collecting rally: A sweet adventure that added an extra layer of fun to the office tour.
- Rakuten services booths: Booths showcasing Rakuten’s wide range of services, adding an educational touch to the day.
- Commemorative photo area: Perfect for capturing those cherished moments with loved ones.
- Special guest Okaimono Panda appearance: Rakuten’s beloved mascot brought much joy and laughter to all attendees.
- Kids’ area: A dedicated space for young ones to play and enjoy.
- Paper sun visor-making station: Creative hands got busy making Okaimono Panda motif sun visors to proudly wear during the day.
- Toy capsules: A delightful surprise for kids and adults alike.
The sweet trail of adventure
One of the most exciting aspects of this year’s Family Day was the sweets-collecting rally. The quest was simple: collect all the snacks scattered throughout the office tour. It not only added an element of adventure but also ensured that everyone got to see the entire office.
A delicious treat for all
The Rakuten cafeteria, typically a hub for Rakuten employees, prepared a special menu for Rakuten Family Day 2023. Among the offerings was a “kid’s plate” meal, delighting young taste buds. What made it even more special was that lunch was free for all, not just for Rakuten employees which is the usual case, extending the gesture of appreciation for their dedication and support.
Everybody at Rakuten Group making it happen
As the sun set on another memorable Family Day, it left behind not just laughter and joy but also a reaffirmed sense of belonging, thanks to the organization of Rakuten Smile Project, and all other participating business units such as Rakuten Mobile, the Corporate Culture Division and more. Rakuten’s commitment to its employees and their families was evident in every aspect of the event, making it a day to remember. Here’s to many more year of togetherness, celebration and pride in being part of the Rakuten family.